Edward Hare was born on June 1, 1702 in Isle of Wright, VA. He was a Quaker. He first married Mary Scott and they had one child: Thomas. Then he married Mary Bryan around 1720. She was born around 1703. On March 1 1719/20 he was granted 120 acres in Chowan precinct, joining John Pipkin, Chinkapen Ridge, Sam Hitchpate, and Mill Swamp. Edward’s will was made on August 27, 1756 and proofed at the October Court in 1757. It mentions his sons: Edward (lands in Chowan), John (lands in Bertie), Thomas, Bryan, and daughters Christian West, Mary Burges, and Ann Scot and his wife Mary. The witnesses were: William Skinner, Joseph Rooks, and Joseph Speight. Edward and Mary Bryan had six children:
1. Edward had land in Chowan Co. and was one of the executors of his father’s will. His own will was written in May 16, 1772 and proved on April 22, 1777 before Governor Caswell at New Bern, NC with his brother, Thomas Hare, as Executor and the following witnesses: Solomon King, John Lewis, Issac Pipkin, and Edward Warren. The will names the following: Thomas Hare (brother), John Hare (brother), Mary Hare (sister), Ann Scot (sister), Luke Lewis (son of John Lewis), Lucretia Hare (daughter of Bryan Hare), Edward Bryan Hare (son of Bryan Hare), John Pipken (son of Issac Pipken), Bray Warren (son of Joseph Warren), Eff Lewis (son of John Lewis), John Miller, Edward Warren, Mills Lewis (son of John Lewis), William Warren (son of Edward Warren), Phillip Lewis (son of John Lewis), John Gattellen, Issac Pipken, Jesse Barnes, Francis Speight, Henry Speight, John Goodman, Benjamin Wynns, Solomon King, William West. Edward left most of his estate to his mother and, in her decease, to his brother Thomas. The others received small, and very specific, items. He apparently never married.
2. John had land in Bertie Co. and was one of the executors of his father’s will
3. Thomas was the executor of his brother’s will in 1777 and had a daughter, Mary, named in it.
4. Mary married a Burges.
5. Christian married Peter West.
6. Ann married a Scot.
7. Sarah was born about 1720 and married Henry Winborne (see above).
8. Bryan was born on June 1, 1726. He went with Sarah’s husband, Henry Winborne to Bertie County, NC in 1742 from Nansomond County, VA (see Winborne family). She married Sarah Shepard. They had two sons: Jesse and Edward Bryan, and four daughters: Mary – married Joseph Pretlow, Ruth – married James Copeland, Elizabeth – married Samuel Copeland, and Lucretia.