Two of my favorite blog tool companies joined forces as announced on October 11. I use both of these tools. The founders of both firms, Greg Reinacker, and Dick Costolo, are also cases in our book, Business Blogs: A Practical Guide, so I have had the pleasure of getting both of their takes on the future of the blog market. .
As the Newsgator - Feedburner press release stated “The combination of FeedBurner and NewsGator provides the richest possible RSS platform for online publishers,” said J.B. Holston, president and CEO of NewsGator. “Online brands can now not only offer the richest aggregated content solution available, but also monitor the audience’ response to the offering in great detail. As Nielsen recently reported, RSS users are three times as valuable as regular online readers.”
The press release stated the key benefits of the partnership:
• Search statistics and post ratings identify which topics drive the most traffic through your users’ aggregators
• Detailed measurement of performance criteria including readership trends, ad performance, feed item popularity and syndication circulation metrics
• Ability to insert targeted and time-sensitive ads using a flexible management engine for RSS feeds
• Comparisons of Web-based readership to RSS feed readership
• Strategies for building inventory utilizing a comprehensive database of RSS feeds
• Bandwidth absorption and protection from traffic spikes and repetitive polling
I stripped out some of the marketing language from the traditional marketing spin but this does seem like a good thing. I see that Newsgator has been on a recent shopping spread as they also picked up NetNewsWire.