“Lenham is a town and parish in county Kent, southwest England, about 40 miles WSW from the center of London. It is midway between between the towns of Maidstone and Ashford, about nine miles from each. Its name comes from the river Len which begins in the parish, and ham: town. This is a very old place, some historians believing it to have been a Roman station. As early as 804, the kings of Kent and Mercia joined in a grant to the Abbot of the Monastery of St. Augustine, near Canterbury (about 10 miles to the west), of "certain land in Lenham".
The parish is about five miles long and four miles wide, lying chiefly in a valley. It is said to be "well inhabited" and "the valley part extremely well watered, for at the eastern extremity of the town there arises a spring, accounted the head of the river Stour, which flowing thence southward by Royton Chapel, at about a mile distance from its source, receives into its stream two other small ones from the northwest, and goes its way to Ashford and Canterbury."
Royton is a district in the parish of Lenham southeast from the church of St. Mary [which is at the south end of Lenham] about a mile. The name applies to a section of the parish which had an organization of its own in early times, and a market regularly held within or near its limits. The high-road from Maidstone, through Lenham to Ashford, ran through Royton street.
Royton is mentioned as early as 1259 when Simon Fitzadam was in possession of the manor at Royton. His successor was Robert de Royton who took his surname from from the place. The manor was purchased by Robert Atwater [who is not the Robert Atwood of this genealogy] early in the reign of Henry VIII, and he made it his residence and it continued in the possession of his descendants.”